Insurance Enrollment and Social Services
The Institute for Family Health accepts most insurance. We accept Medicaid, Medicare, and most insurance plans. If you do not have health insurance, we can help. Ask us about how to apply for our sliding-fee discount program. You may be eligible based only on income and family size. No one is turned away.
Make an appointment at the health center closest to you:
What insurance plans can I use?
The Institute accepts Medicare, Medicaid, as well as many other major insurance plans. For a complete list of the plans we accept, click here.
What if I don’t have insurance?
You can come to us even without insurance.Everyone is welcome, even if you cannot pay. Patients pay based on their income.
We can help you get health insurance.
Apply in person: Our social work staff can help you apply for:
- Child Health Plus
- Qualified health plans (“Obamacare” plans)
- Family Planning Benefit Program
- HIV Uninsured Care Programs
These programs may depend on your yearly income. A social worker will help you find out if you qualify.
Apply online: You can also apply online at New York State of Health.
What about my children?
A social worker will help you apply for insurance for your children. Children may apply for Child Health Plus or Medicaid with their parents.
What if I can’t pay for my medicine?
Our social workers can also help you find low cost prescriptions.
- Institute social workers can help you find generic medicine at Rite-Aid, K-Mart, CVS, or Target. These medicines can be as little as $5.
- If you cannot afford your prescription medicine, we can help you apply for a Patient Assistance Program or the 340B program. These programs help you get your medicine at a low cost.
- You can apply for these programs even if you have no health insurance.
What if I am an undocumented immigrant?
We are here to help – call us for an appointment with a social worker. Children without documents may still be able to get health insurance. For adults, we offer discounted services based on your income. No one is turned away.
What if I need help getting other services?
We can help you get connected to other services we don’t provide. The Institute for Family Health partners with Aunt Bertha to provide The Institute + Aunt Bertha, a carefully selected network of social service resources near where you live to help you find what you need. Learn more or put in your zip code below to get started.