The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) offers nutrition education, breastfeeding support, referrals and a variety of nutritious foods to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding or post partum women, infants and children up to age 5 to promote and support good health. It is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture and administered in New York by the New York State Department of Health.
Who can apply for WIC?
- Any pregnant woman
- Mothers of babies up to 6 months old
- Mothers breastfeeding babies up to 12 months old
- Infants and children up to their 5th birthday
To apply for WIC you must:
- Live in New York State
- Meet income guidelines set by the federal government. If you already receive Medicaid, food stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needed Families (TANF), you can apply.
- Have a nutritional need
You can receive WIC even if you are not a legal resident, U.S. citizen, or you or other household members are working.
What can you get at WIC?
- At WIC you get vouchers to buy healthy foods such as milk, eggs, bread, cereal, juice, peanut butter, beans, rice, infant formula, baby food, and more. In the summer, you also receive additional vouchers to use in farmers’ markets.
- You will get information from a nutritionist to help you and your family eat better and be healthier.
- You will receive support and information about breastfeeding your baby.
- You will get help finding services such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Immunizations, places to get vaccines for your children, and emergency numbers.
Where can you go to apply for WIC?
Any Institute health center can help you apply for WIC. Find your nearest location and call to speak to a social worker today. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all WIC services are being provided over the phone. Below are our WIC offices:
|1818 Madison Avenue (between 118th and 119th Streets), New York, NY 10035
|1701 Lexington Avenue (between E. 106th and E. 107th Streets), New York, NY 10029
|2082 First Avenue (at 108th St – Inside the Plaza), New York, NY 10029
Please note: As of September 30, 2020, this site will be closing and no longer providing WIC services. You can still receive WIC services through another Institute WIC office or through another agency.
You are important to us and we are sorry for any inconvenience. Please call us at (212) 417-5758 if you need further assistance.
You can also call the WIC hotline at 1-800-522-5006.